Member call no. 38: Renovations, fire doors, smoke alarms and committee meetings
In this call, I answer Roman’s excellent questions about common strata problems including:
- how to seek permission for a bathroom renovation and installation of new flooring
- whether a false ceiling constitutes ‘minor work’
- who is responsible for fire doors and smoke alarms.
We also discuss why a strata manager’s performance is often only as good as the instructions they are given, and why regular committee meetings are the key to a successful community.
Links and resources mentioned:
- Get your copy of the transcript here!
- Renovation Works by-law template – for lot owners (Member Only)
- Podcast Episode 125. Your Guide to By-Law Registrations
- Section 1110 Minor renovations by owners – Strata Schemes Management Act 2015 (NSW)
- Section 109 – Cosmetic by owners – Strata Schemes Management Act 2015 (NSW)
- Regulation 28 – Minor renovations by owner – Strata Schemes Regulation 2016 (NSW)
- SCHEDULE 3 – Model By-laws – see no. 3 and no. 10
- Definition of an owner of a “dwelling” Forum Question
- Regulation 186A(4) Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2020
- Fire Safety Inspections Forum Question
- Regulation 20 – Periodic repair or replacement of smoke alarms – Residential Tenancies Regulation 2019
- Podcast Episode 006. Why Communities Should Consider Tendering Strata Management Contracts
- Member Call no. 015: Helping Carol to ‘painlessly’ tender for new strata management