Resources And Links Mentioned
Key Points / Timestamps
- 00:00 — Introduction and Overview
- 01:11 — Why is short term letting such a critical issue for strata buildings and owners
- 01:27 — How digital platforms like Airbnb are affecting commercialisation of short term letting (and are affecting communities)
- 02:11 — What makes a good strata tenant?
- 02:50 — The short term letting disaster story: A 1000 extra people in one building and various illegal brothels!
- 04:19 — Amanda and Karen clarify what they mean by the term “short term letting”
- 05:10 — The most common challenges buildings face when it comes to dealing with short-term letting (and the steps the building took to resolve their short term letting disaster)
- 05:52 — Section 49.1 of the Strata Schemes Management Act and it’s interpretation of by-laws
- 07:05 — How good quality security and surveillance can prevent short- term letting or mitigate damages by gathering evidence when by-laws have been breached
- 08:06 — Actions listeners can take to proactively deal with short-term letting in their building
- 09:49 — Owners corporations should not be given huge responsibility without appropriate levels of authority
- 10:39 — Books that have had a big impact on Karen and why
- 11:39 — How listeners can find out more about Karen Stiles
- 12:52 — Wrap up and thank you